The service having id "google_buzz" is missing, reactivate its module or save again the list of services.

When will Android open Wi-Fi Direct API?

7 replies [Last post]
Mcellent's picture
+1

Wi-Fi Alliance published P2P Spec for Wi-FI Direct connectivity and started certification from last year 2010. Thus Samsung, LG and Apple are showing apps based on Wi-FI direct technology like FTP, Chatting, Push2TV, etc.

But, To make App developers use of the Wi-Fi Direct to develop various apps, Android platform have to embed WI-FI Direct API and open to the new version of Android for 2.x or 3.x.

Is there any movements or rumors for Android to make Wi-FI Direct API ?

Róbert Bodó's picture
Android 4.0

Android 4.0 platform was announced yesterday. Wi-Fi Direct support is among the new features. See: http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2011/10/android-40-platform-and-u...

jani.naukkarinen's picture
Hi Robert, Excellent, thank

Hi Robert,

Excellent, thank you for the update on Wi-Fi direct support.

paller's picture
Irfan Sheriff from Google

Irfan Sheriff from Google says this on March 14:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/e...
"Its in active development at this time. Nothing in the SDK for developers
right now. "

Some phones like Samsung Galaxy S have it already. I have found the following tip:
"Just go to your Wireless and Network menu and goto Mobile AP. That's where you can activate your Wifi Direct"

I could not try it as I don't have access to a Galaxy S. :-(

Mcellent's picture
expected timing for Wi-Fi Direct API of Android

Hi,

I got to sure the status from your catching Irfan Sheriff saying.
He means that Android doesn't provide Wi-Fi Direct API right now, But Android are expected to provide it soon.

I met LG Optimus developers related to Wi-Fi Direct yesterday. They showed us some WI-FI direct apps like music sharing, video multicasting and direct DLNA developed by LG own API.
They also says Android probably are developing Wi-fidirect API for app developers. But they can not sure when it is available.

Samsung, according to email response, also says Android is expected to provide the API in Icecream which is an expected code name for next Android version.

Thus they recommend us to wait for app development using Wi-FI direct till Android open API for it.

Regards,
Michael Kim

paller's picture
If Samsung and LG guys have

If Samsung and LG guys have applications then they have proprietary interfaces too.
Obtaining their proprietary API and creating an additional layer around it could allow you to create applications now and adapt to the Android API later.

Mcellent's picture
Thanks a lot !

Thanks a lot !

wendyT's picture
that's good news for Android..:)

that's good news for Android..:) Anyway, this holiday season, gaming retailer GameStop will begin selling its own brand of Android tablets, notes the Wall Street Journal. These will be supplied as competition against iPads GameStop already offers. Each Android tablet will be gaming optimized, and include many well-known games. You may read the full article here: GameStop to offer Android gaming tablet for the holidays